Pages

Thursday 28 March 2019

💭➗Maths➗💭

💭➗Maths➗💭
IALT: solve an equation using the method, "Rounding and Compensating."

Talofa lava and greetings to you all, today I am going to be blogging about Maths!! For Maths today we did something different to what we usually do, during the middle block the instead of having the class be split into two, for today we had our Maths session as a CLASS. For Maths the class was split into 5 groups of 3, 4 or 5, in my group was Grace, Helena, Lopiseni, and Raymond.
Each group was given the same problem and here is part of the problem that I remember:
"Ms. Aireen has 114 texts left on her phone, and there are six days left of the month, she needs to send an equal number of texts, how many texts can she send each day?"
That is all I can remember from today's Maths problem, so first of all within our group we shared our strategy and we all agreed that "Rounding and Compensating" was the Method that we were going to use to solve the problem. Here is our strategy:

Key ideas:
- 114 texts
-  6 days left of the month
- Question - How many equal number of texts can she/Ms. Aireen send each day?

114 ÷ 6= 19
(120 ÷ 6) - (6 ÷ 6)
= 20 - 1
= 19

Process:
We are trying to round 114 to the nearst ten which is 110 BUT you can't equally divide 110 into 6 so we round up to the nearst ten which is 120, 120 can be divided into so therefore we did 120 ÷ 6 which equals 20 because 6 x 2 = 12 and because 120 is a hundreds you then add zero(0) which makes 120. With the next step we divided 6 by 6 because if you look back at the previous step we had to add 6 to GET to 120 remember, so we started off with 114 but then had to round up to the nearst ten which required us to add 6 to get our answer, 6 ÷ 6= 1. We then took away 1 from 20 which gives us the answer 19, we took away 1 from 20 because from the previous step we had to ADD to get our answer so doing the same we took AWAY. To double check our answer to see if it is correct I then had to multiply BECAUSE with our problem we used division.
So... 19 x 6= 114 why because 10 x 6= 60 and 9 x 6= 54, so we then add the two numbers 60 and 54 which gives us the answer 114!

I really liked today's Maths session, it was both challenging and easy and the same time, it was challenging explaining to others our strategy but was easy solving the problem. Our/my group did really well with communicating with each other and sharing our ideas within the group. We ALL to part and also had a part when presenting as well.
Image result for maths gif

5 comments:

  1. Hey Hevani ,
    I really like how you showed an example of how you use the strategy.
    I also like how you added detail in your description so I know what you are posting about. Spot on!!
    Maybe next time re-read your sentence to make sure it makes sense.
    Fa'afetai Lava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Auckland,
      thank you for your Positive, Thoughtful, and Helpful comment. Yes I do make ALOT of mistakes especially when it comes to writing sentences, from now on I will re-read my sentences.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Hevani,
    I LOVED your work it is cool to see you solving problems in other strategy's, It makes your work look really detailed. I also love how you put your punctuation in the right place. I think that it was interesting that you did this because others would be able to learn from it! Something that you could work on is you full stops because I kind of ran out of breath while reading it, So remember to keep your sentences short but also great work.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Carra for the Thoughtful, Positive, and Helpful comment, just by reading your comment I also think that I should add full stops in the correct place, I even had problems too with running out of breath while reading. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.